Monday, March 30, 2009

BABY IS HERE!!

After baby got cleaned up.

Showing off Brighton's hair - Proud daddy


Grandma, Grandpa Roy - Daddy, Mommy, Brighton & Grandma


Announcing the arrival of our son: Brighton Theodore - Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:27 am - Weight: 7 lb 2 oz Length: 21 inches

The day finally arrived when the baby was ready to be born. As you know, I was scheduled to be induced at 6:30am on Monday, March 23, 2009. Well, lo and behold, on Sunday, March 22, 2009 at around 3 pm, I started having contractions that were pretty intense and starting to get painful. So, we headed into the hospital. We got there around 4:30-5 pm. They monitored me for awhile, then checked me. I wasn't "progressed" far enough to be "in labor" yet, so they sent me out to walk the halls for an hour. When we got back from our "walk", I had progressed a little more, enough so they decided to check me into Labor and Delivery. I checked into my room officially at 8 pm and at that time was dilated to 1.5 cm and 90% effaced. The nurse, thinking it was going to be a while before anything happened was, ready to give me IV pain meds to help me sleep but she wanted me to try to shower first to help me relax and work through contractions. I sat and rocked side to side on a "birthing" ball in the shower for a little over an hour and when I got out, I had dilated to 8 cm. My water broke around 9:30 pm on it's own, and I had the Baby at 12:27 am. All in all, it was a very good labor and birth. It wasn't as hard as I thought it could be, but it wasn't as easy as I was hoping either. It is definitely hard work but so worth it. I ended up using an IV pain medication and was considering an Epidural. But it went so fast, once it got started, that I didn't need it. We didn't even have time to get our "labor" bag, that I had packed, from the car. The labor bag had snacks for my husband and his mother (my very fabulous support team), comfort items for me, pillow and blanket from home, a book of Sudoku puzzles for my hubby and a handheld Tetris game for me. So, the next time around, the labor bag is coming in with me, no matter what, when I go into OB Triage.....even if I think they may be sending me home!!!












4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad everything went smoothly. There are always so many possibilities. We brought our "bag" with both kids and never used anything out of it until after baby was born. We have 3 weeks until our due date, and so the countdown is on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad taht everything went well! Brighton is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you both:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret,

    Thanks for commenting. I'm glad you've been enjoying reading my blog. I really enjoy writing it! :o)

    ReplyDelete